Originating in 1888, the rose comb variety of the Rhode Island White was admitted to the APA in 1922. Cackle Hatchery® Breeding Farms only offer the single comb Production type variety. The Rhode Island White chicken breed has a broad, deep body with horizontal carriage, close tightly feathered brick-like appearance, with a broad flat head. This chicken breed is a great winter egg layer of rich large brown eggs, very docile and good dual layer/meat fowl. The Rhode Island White Hen is also used in creating our Cinnamon Queen and Golden Comet breeds. This production type will have about 60% yellow legs and the other 40% will have a dirty/greenish leg color. Raising chickens can be fun and enjoyable with these very friendly hens.
General mating ratio is 10 females to 1 male for birds 6 months to 2 years of age.
General sleeping/roosting comfort height for this breed is a roost pole 2-4 feet high.